Marinated Beef and Coconut Spanish Rice



A couple of weeks ago I told you about the Fresh Market here. They have the greatest specials on meat. We like to buy something called Bistec Para Asar, when it comes on sale.

I've tried to find out what it is. I know it's beef but not sure what cut. Someone said round steak. Another source said rib eye. Whatever it is we love it.

Bistec para asar is sliced really thin, a quarter inch or less. This makes for fast cooking on those busy nights.

Marinated Bistec Para Asar

1/2 c lime juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
half a small onion, minced or grated
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (opt, more or less to taste)
1/4 c chopped cilantro
1/4 c oil ( I use good olive oil)

2 lbs bistec para asar (or thin sliced sandwich steaks, or any beef)

Mix all together and pour over the beef. Let marinate at least 3 hours or overnight. Quickly pan sear or throw on the grill.

If I pan sear, I like to deglaze the pan with a Tablespoon or two of vermouth and pour on the meat.

I slice the meat into thin strips. Easiest way is to stack 3 or 4 and roll them then slice.



Serve with tortillas, sour cream, salsa, shredded cheese, avocado...your favorite taco toppings.

I like just avocado, shredded cabbage and salsa.





I also served a new version of spanish rice. Rabbit insisted I made this before and although I didn't remember I told him I'd do it anyway.

Coconut Spanish Rice

I cook this in my rice pot. I also use brown basmati, which needs more liquid than most other rice. I think you can use whatever you normally do. Adjust the liquid ingredients to make up the usual amount of water or broth that you use.

Coconut Milk (canned)
Canned diced tomatoes
Crushed garlic clove or garlic powder
Chili Powder
Salt

(I used 1 can coconut milk, 1 28oz can petite diced tomato, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 T chili powder and 2 cups of raw brown basmati rice plus water to make 4 c of liquid total)

Drain the liquid from the tomatoes into a measuring cup. Add a can of coconut milk until the right amount of liquid is acheived. You can add water if you need more. Mix liquid with rice, garlic, salt and the drained tomatoes. Cook as normal, either on the stove or in a rice cooker. Mix well before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger