Pork Stir Fry Over Noodles



We all really miss good Chinese food.  We have yet to find a good Asian restaurant around here.  Coming from Hawaii, I'm really picky about Asian food.  I'm Japanese/Filipino and The Ex is full Chinese so we know authentic.  Hawaii also has a few things that we can't find anywhere else.

One of those is Cake Noodle.  You can get it in almost any Chinese Restaurant in the Islands.  Basically you take boiled thin chow mien noodles and fry them in a frying pan or a wok until they are crispy on one side (like hash browns) then flip them over and do the other side.  Put them on a plate and cut in to squares or cakes.  They are so good but you need to use a lot of oil to get the right texture.  Or so I thought.

I was already to make them the other night as a treat for the boys.  I even had the noodles boiled and waiting, when I was catching up on blogs and saw a healthier way to make them.  Tiny Urban Kitchen had a recipe that called for putting them under the broiler instead.  Go visit her, she's got a give away going!

I had to cut it in quarters to flip it!


So I tried it and they came out great!.  I was making a huge batch and next time, I'll divide it into 2 batches but it is a good technique and less work.

I cut mine up into squares before adding the topping.



Pork Stir fry
1- 1 1/2 lbs of pork (I use country style ribs, sliced thin)
2 T oyster sauce
2 Tsp sugar
1 T Shoyu
2 T. cornstarch
1 Tsp Garlic powder or 1 garlic clove, minced

Cut up veggies, I used onion garlic, broccoli, cauliflower, canned water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
1/4c oyster sauce
2 tsp sugar
2 T Shoyu
1/2 tsp sesame oil

Mix pork and the next 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Let stand for 15 min.  Heat some oil in a wok or big pot till very hot.  Put pork in and stir fry until mostly done.  Put back in the bowl and set aside.



Add a little more oil to the pan (or stir fry in a little water).  Throw the fresh veggies in and stir fry until almost soft crisp.  Add the oyster sauce, sugar and soy sauce and mix well.  Put the pork back in with the veggies and add a cup of water.  Add the canned veggies and heat through.

My kids like a lot of gravy

 The gravy should thicken up.  If it gets too thick then add a bit more water, if not thick enough you can mix some cornstarch with water and add it.  Take off the heat and add the sesame oil.  Mix well.

Serve over rice or noodles.



You can substitute any meat and veggies you want.  If you want it spicy add some sriracha or chili garlic sauce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger