Chicken Verde



Cinco de Mayo was on Thursday and I had two corn tortillas with a bit of cheese and canned chili on top.  Not a very satisfying meal.  We had some tomatillos I had purchased to try and duplicate this salsa verde we had at a restaurant here that The Greek loved.  I figured he could wait for his salsa because I wanted something really good and well, what I want comes first ...right?  At least when the kids aren't here.

So I put the tomatillos and a couple of jalapeños in a roasting pan and drizzled them with a tiny bit of oil.  Rub them all over and put the pan in a 400 degree oven.  I don't remember how long it was but until they are browned (maybe 30 min).  I took them out and let them cool off.  I pulled just the stems out of the jalapeños but if you don't want it too spicy you can take the seeds out too.



Then I threw it all in a blender, including the liquid.  I added 2 big cloves of garlic and a whole onion cut in chunks.  Blend until pureed.  Then I added 1 tsp of salt and about 1 cup of fresh cilantro.  Blend again until well pureed.  I put in the fridge overnight but you can use it right away if you want.



I took chicken thighs (8) but any amount is good.  I browned them slightly in a big pot, then threw the tomatillo mixture in along with about a heaping tsp of dried oregano.  Add water if you need to but not much. Bring to a boil and turn down to a gentle boil and cover.  Cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally.  Add more water if you need to OR if it's too thin, partly uncover the pot and let it boil down a bit.



You can serve it as is, with veggies or rice on the side.



Or wrap it in tortillas.  I LOVE good corn tortillas.


You could use pork in this dish also.  It turned out really well and satisfied my Mexican food craving!

1 comments:

CylestialChola said...

I just found you through a blog hop, and am so pleased because this looks absolutely delicious! I am now a follower. I hope you will take a peek at the blog that I recently started sometime too. Be well!

http://cylestialchola.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger