Cream Chicken



There are certain things my boys request me to cook every time they come.  The main one we call Cream Chicken or Cream Porkchops.  The basic recipe is the same, I either use chicken thighs or pork steaks.  I devised this recipe during one of my low carb phases.  It is simple and doesn't use exotic ingredients.


Creamed Chicken
8 chicken thighs (more or less)
1 clove of garlic, crushed
A little oil for the pot
1 can of chicken broth (or 1 1/2 cups of water and a bullion cube)
1 1/2 c of heavy cream (whipping cream)
Seasonings of your choice:   Pepper, sage ( I love this one), bay leaf, oregano....(not all at the same time, unless you want to)
Salt, maybe

Heat oil in a big pot or very large skillet and add garlic clove.  Stir for a minute then lay the chicken skin side down and brown, then turn over and lightly brown the other side.  You may need to do this in batches depending on how big your pot is.

Put all the chicken back in the pot and pour the chicken broth over it and add any seasonings you would like.  Don't add any salt yet.  Bring to a boil and turn down the heat.  When you lift the lid, the broth should be bubbling enough to nearly cover the chicken, if not turn it up a bit.  If it wants to boil over, turn it down.  Cover.  After 30 min, move meat around so that any pieces on top are now on the bottom.  Cover and simmer for another 30 min.  Take the lid off and boil the liquid until most of it is evaporated.  There should be between a quarter and a half cup.  Stir in the heavy cream and bring to a boil again.  If it's not as thick as you want (it shouldn't be too thick)  boil for a few more minutes.  Taste, I usually don't need salt but correct the seasonings as you see fit. I serve this with rice or couscous.  If I'm low carbing, mashed cauliflower or even steamed or sauteed shredded cabbage is awesome to pick up the sauce.

Not a pretty plate unless you are the one who gets to eat it!


I tried to make this a little healthier for those not on a low carb diet.  After boiling and reducing the stock, skim off any excess oil.  Add a can of evaporated skim milk and bring to a boil again.  Mix half a cup of cold water and 2 tsp of cornstarch and add to pot.  Stir until thick then turn off.

To my kids, this is Momma's cooking and Momma is always happy to make it for them.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what I'm making for dinner tonight. My low carb diet is craving something creamy! Thank you!

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger