One of My Newest Finds



It's been hectic in both our lives the past week so we've been bad about posting.  I hope to find a way to fix that soon.  I was flipping through the Costco magazine recently and they had a few new books that were interesting.  One of them was a diet book.  I wasn't looking for a diet, per se, as my daughter and I are trying the new weight watchers points plus, but it was written by a real chef.  I found out he had a cookbook where he took some of America's comfort foods and redid them.

This was my thinking...this guy is a professional chef, so his food has to taste good because he's got a reputation to protect, right?  I decided to splurge and maybe learn some new techniques.  He's got everything from "fried" calamari to chicken cordon bleu to tiramisu.  Oh and meatloaf!  I LOVE good meatloaf but I know how bad it can be for you.  All that fat and breading in most recipes.  I decided to give Rocco DiSpirito's recipe a try.  That's the book at amazon.com on the side there.

His recipe uses portobella mushrooms as part of the filler.  It was an easy recipe to make even without using the food processor.  I chopped everything by hand and had my stronger half press the garlic cloves for me.  I'm still trying to get in the habit of remembering to take pictures, so I forgot until it had already gone in the oven.  I'll get better at this...one would hope.

Here is the finished product as it came out of the oven.


I served it with roasted asparagus and green beans and couscous.  I love couscous because it's fast to make.  Boil the water or whatever liquid you want to use, pour in the couscous, cover and let sit 5 min and it's done.  I added chopped parsley, a few raisins and a touch of olive oil and lemon to ours tonight.



The meatloaf was awesome!  Moist and flavorful.  Simple and fast.  A quarter of the recipe is 5 pts for those using the plus points system, leaving me ample points for my nightly oatmeal. Thank you Rocco! Now I'm eyeing up his recipe for jalapeno poppers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger