Watch Out For Momma!



Easter was yesterday and I hope you all had a great day, even if that meant just relaxing at home.  The boys got their Easter Baskets and the Easter bunny managed to put no candy in them.  They did get a few caramel filled and peanut butter filled eggs in the eggs for the hunt.  Peeps we're stuffed in there too.  (Do you know that Peeps make the best microwave s'mores?)

We went to brunch with The Greek's family.  That evening, he took us to eat ice cream at Ben and Jerry's.  I skipped the ice cream since I was still full from brunch.  The Ben and Jerry's here shares a storefront with a Mediterranean place.  So while we were there I picked up a couple of things for a light dinner later.

The boys each chose two flavors, one of which contained peanuts or peanut butter.  I try and stay away from peanuts.  I'm not really allergic but I feel better when I don't eat them.  It's the same with gluten.  The boys were trying to trick me into eating the peanut butter ones and I told them to remember who the cook was and that I'd get them back one day.

For a long time, my kids would eat any cuisine as long as fruits and veggies weren't included.  Made it nice when we would go out to dinner.  We even took them to Disneyworld for 10 days once and they didn't eat a single chicken nugget the whole trip.  They ate lamb and couscous from the Moroccan place, or fish or shrimp from the seafood restaurant.  Just no visible green things and other veggies.  They have gotten better the last two years but only with the mainstream vegetables.

Later last night I sat them down for a light dinner.  I had hummus and pita bread, which they love!  I had also bought some baba ganoush which I included on their plates.  After watching them wolf down one serving each, I asked them what they thought.  I got 2 thumbs up.  Then I said... remember when we were eating ice cream and I told you that I'd get you back?  Well baba ganoush is.....

EGGPLANT!!!!!


Their eyes opened wide and Rabbit looked like he wanted to throw up.  After a minute, he said I like the yogurt-y taste but I won't eat eggplant in anything else!  Neither one turned down a second helping!  For those that don't know, baba ganoush is a dip made with roasted eggplant, garlic, lemon juice and tahini.

Nearly all of us hide things in food and don't tell the kids but have you ever made anything and then told them the dreaded ingredient AFTER?  Let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger