Seafood Couscous Paella



I don't often use recipes and even when I do, if it becomes something I make regularly, then I just eyeball things and do things "to taste".  The exception would be baked goods.  Which is probably why I don't bake very often.   We have an awesome place near here called Ubake.  I cheat and buy my stuff from there.  They even sell holiday cut out cookies for every occasion.  I buy them (and their frosting too) and let the kids decorate them and I'm the best Mommy in the world!

Snowmen and Christmas Tree Cookies

Anyway, what I'm getting to is...I tend to just throw things together.  So my "recipes" aren't hard and fast.  I am more conscious about measurements, but it's ok to tweak them to fit your tastes.  More or less salt or sugar.  A different herb or even veggie, most times is perfectly ok.

Tonight we were thinking about dinner.  Tomorrow The Greek's grandson comes over so we are having chicken, since he really likes chicken.  Our meat choices in the freezer were chicken wings and rib eyes steaks.  I always keep frozen seafood handy to throw into my noodle soups, so I decided to share them tonight and make The Greek something different.  I guess it needs a name so I'll call it:

Seafood Couscous Paella

1 - 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 c. chopped onion
1 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 c dry white wine ( I use dry vermouth)
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (opt)
2 bay leaves
1T dry oregano, crushed
1t dry basil, crushed
1 heaping tsp sugar
1-2 T sriracha or ketchup
2c of mixed seafood *
2/3 c couscous (not the israeli one the small stuff looks like crushed grain)

Saute the onion and garlic until light brown,, you can use Pam or olive oil or nothing.  Add the can of tomatoes and everything else before the seafood.  Turn down the heat and let simmer for 30 min or more.  If you need to add more liquid then wine or water or even chicken or clam broth will work.

After simmering, taste and adjust seasonings. then add the seafood.  Mine was frozen so I covered and let it come back up to a boil.  You can do the same for fresh too.  Check the amount of liquid it should be about the same amount as couscous.  If not add more and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover and take off the heat.  Let it sit for 5 min. Stir again.

You can put more couscous in this if you want a more grainy consistency, just make sure the liquid to couscous ratio is about 1 to 1.  I'm watching points so purposely kept the amount of carbs low.



You can garnish with green onion or cilantro.  Even a sprinkling of parmesan would be good.

I was discussing this with The Greek and you could also add sausage, chicken or even bacon might be awesome.

*I used a combination of frozen mixed seafood, frozen shrimp and imitation crab.  The frozen mixed seafood varies. This one has baby mussels, calamari, shrimp and imitation crab.  You can also substitute fish, real crab legs and clams, either in the shell, whole or chopped.  Of course any fresh seafood works too.


This is actually a quickie version of my bouillabaisse recipe.  That one doesn't call for couscous, just serve some good sourdough bread for dunking.

1 comments:

CRichman said...

following you from the hop please stop by www.crichmanfreebies.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger