Quickie Go To Meal



It's been one of those days.  I had 3 shows today and I try not to eat 3 hours before a show or I'm too full to sing. Also certain foods muck up my throat but I haven't pinpointed which ones they are yet.  Days like today are rough.  I ate lunch at 2:30 pm and then couldn't eat again until after midnight when the last show was over.

Sad to say my usual go to is a Smart Ones Frozen entree.  Fast and doesn't require any thinking.

When I am thinking more clearly though my favorite thing is noodle soup.   Not chicken noodle, but things like ramen.  Well ramen is notoriously bad for you.  Both high in carbs and fat, at least the ones that taste any good.  I've recently come up with a good substitute though.

I use soba noodles.  My favorite brand is Roland because they are fast and easy to make.  I put a pot of salted water on the stove and bring it to a boil.  I add the soba and  turn the heat down to a gentle bubble.  Set the timer for 3 minutes and it's always perfect.  Other brands I've tried so far take over 5 minutes and the texture is not so great.  Soba noodles have no added fat and have a good amount of fiber.

I put them in a deep bowl then bring a small amount of water to bowl in the same pot.  I use about a cup.  If you want any veggies you can add them in now.  I've used broccoli, green beans, bean sprouts and mushrooms.  I've added cubes of tofu or frozen shrimp or mixed seafood in too.  I've even cracked an egg in on occasion.  Bring to a boil and add one packet of instant miso soup.  Pour on top of the noodles in the bowl. You can garnish with green onions, cilantro and thin slices of cooked meat.  I like to add sriracha and sometimes lime juice too.  I get a satisfying bowl of noodles for half the calories of a package of ramen.

I've been wanting this for over a week but since I had to cut out seafood for a while, I haven't been able to indulge.  Soon and then I'll post pics.

I confess!  Sometimes only the real thing will do but between those times this makes me very happy.

These are my favorite dry noodles.

How about you? What are your favorite fast "go to" meals?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger