Sweet & Spicy Ham



I am not one you would call a morning person. The only mornings that I enjoy are ones which I am still awake for from the night before. Anyone who knows me knows that in order for me to wake up while the clock still reads A.M. I need a darn good reason for it. I would love to say that waking up and smelling the roses and listening to birds chirping outside was enough to pull me out of bed excited for the day to come, but alas I would be lying to you. I need something more, something I can truly enjoy and look forward to and for me that’s FOOD! I love everything to do with food. I love to read about it, talk about it, smell it, cook it, and most of all eat it. And now I’m learning to write about it. Since this is my first post I figured what better way to start it off than with a yummy breakfast ham. I take after my mom in so many ways (it’s almost scary) and one thing we both love is the sweet & salty combination in our food. I’m generally not a big ham eater but with this recipe I really just can’t get enough! It’s super simple, fast and trust me, you’ll want it again and again.

Ingredients (for one person):
2 Slices of Ham (I like mine thinly sliced because it gets crispy under the broiler)
1 Tbsp - Brown sugar (packed)
½ Tsp – Chili Powder
¼ Tsp – Cayenne Pepper
Non-stick spray (like PAM)

1. Turn on the broiler in your oven. I set mine to High with the rack at the 2nd closest position.

2. Take a frying pan and toss the slices of ham in to heat them up. It doesn’t take very long.

3. While the ham is frying, mix together the brown sugar, chilli powder, and cayenne pepper on a small plate.

4. Take out a baking sheet and line it with foil and give it a quick once over with the non-stick spray.

5. Once the ham is warmed up take one slice at a time and press into the mixture on the plate. Make sure to get both sides and dust off any caked on sugar; you want a decent coating but not too thick.

6. Place the ham slices on the baking sheet and place it under the broiler for about 1 minute or so then flip the slices over and let it go for another minute. The sugar should be bubbly and
the ham slightly charred at the edges.

I like mine with a couple runny eggs and a small tomato which was put in the broiler with the ham. This is such a simple recipe that anyone can do and tastes so good. It has just the right amount of salty, sweet, & spicy. My mouth is watering just thinking about it...Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Flipside: Umami © 2008 | Créditos: Templates Novo Blogger